I haven't been very good about writing lately- most of it has to do with the spotty email and also being in meetings all day and not wanting to look anymore at my computer at night :)
We had a very successful annual conference with all our sites. We invited 8 people per site (8 sites) and discussed different aspects of the HIV prevention field and our study. We stayed at a beautiful resort on the shores of lake Victoria and had beautiful full moon nights and clear skies. The first night during dinner we watched the TASO (The AIDS Support Organization) which is the world's largest HIV/AIDS support group that is based in Uganda; their drama group performed for us. They drummed and sang and danced. They were in partial ceremonial clothes and when they danced they had these belts (about 5 inches wide) that they tied around their waists and in the back part it was all feathers so that when they shook their hips and butt the feathers moved. In this part of Uganda, that's how they dance, by moving their hips and shaking their butts (as opposed to Eastern Uganda where they only move their shoulders). After a while they began to move through the crowd and put their feathers on people who then had to join the group up front and dance. I was picked and tried my best to make them proud of my dancing :) I hear some of my coworkers got it on video....I have a feeling it is going to come back to haunt me! But I love to dance and it was fun. I shook it to the best of my ability :)
No comments:
Post a Comment