Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lots of Fish

Jambo friends and family-

It has been a beautiful day in Kisumu. The sun has been shining without a cloud in a sky and a gentle breeze is coming from Lake Victoria. Today was my long day, I presented for 4 hours today regarding enrollment procedures for our study. Some of the topics I cover always generate lots of lively conversation...what is a sex act? How do you quantify sex acts? Is it penetration or ejaculation? What is economic abuse and how does it differ from person to person? Vaginal washing is always a very hot topic. Women in East Africa will wash inside the vagina with soap, water, bleach and even detergent. This washing increases their risk of acquiring HIV by two fold, not to mention put them at greater risk of getting STI's and other diseases. Women also insert items into their vagina such as roots and herbs to dry the vagina. Dry sex is preferred by men in East Africa however it greatly increases the risk of acquiring HIV as there is generally more microscopic tears that occur. Many of these practices are cultural but women are reluctant to discuss their practices. I hope I didn't make any of you uncomfortable but that is the reality of being in the HIV world; what is normal for us to talk about makes the rest of the world blush.

Since we are on the shores of Lake Victoria, we eat lots of fish. Tilapia is caught in the lake and at the hotel I am staying at they serve the fish whole, eyes and all. I normally just order the cuts of fish as a whole fish would be way too much for me to eat. The fruit is amazing like always in East Africa. Wonderful pineapple and watermelon, small bananas and mangos.

Kisumu is a very busy city, lots going on here. Three-wheeled cars are very popular here as a form of matutu (bus). Whenever I see one it makes me smile because they are so small compared to the matutus that hold 16 people. The three-wheeled ones only carry about 4 or 5 people. I got a couple pictures of some to show when I get home.

Anyway, I heard the weather back home has been awful, I hope the sun comes out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment