Monday, June 9, 2008

Greetings from Kisumu

Hello friends and family!

Greetings from Kisumu, Kenya. I am in Africa once again for 2.5 weeks training 2 more sites. This first week I'll be in Kisumu and then on Saturday I head to Eldoret for the second training. Kisumu is on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya and is surrounded by mountains and hills. Most people we meet ask us about Obama and how good a chance he has at becoming the next president. Obama has distant relatives that live around Kisumu and so everyone is very interested in our politics. Our training is being held at a brand new hotel in Kisumu, funny enough they do not have paper towels in their bathrooms, they have nothing to dry your hands with. This is actually common with most bathrooms in Kenya and Uganda, it's not that they are out, they do not actually supply them at all. I guess they expect people to air dry. During lunch today, some of the site staff were discussing their home villages and tasks they used to have to do. I got a great lesson on how to use cow pies to seal walls in a hut.

As I write this I am on the 5th floor of the hotel that I am staying at, at the bar. It is the only place that they have internet but is pretty smoky so I won't stay long. The hotel is okay, not the best and nothing like the nice hotel we stayed at in Nairobi. The Imperial is on a busy road so it is pretty loud and the beds are rock hard. But it is the best in the city. I have a nice view from here of Lake Victoria and a storm rolling in over the hills. The view from my room is of the street and the hair salon which "Specializes in Asian and European hairstyles." Very interesting.

I hope all is well at home, I miss you all and hope to talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment