Hello friends and family from Kabwohe, Uganda-
If you need a reminder of where Kabwohe is....it's in the South West part of Uganda, a couple hours from the border with Rwanda and the Congo. Kabwohe is extremely rural, we actually have to stay in a hotel 30 minutes away because there is no hotel in Kabwohe.
I am sitting in a new clinic (that our study paid for) listening to our contract lab staff give a presentation to the Kabwohe staff about our study. I am sitting in one of the exam rooms because it has internet and a nice gentle breeze is coming through the window along with the rustle of banana leaves. All I see when I look out the window is banana trees, hundreds of them with little green bananas growing in clusters.
Today marks day 5 of our training and it has gone well so far. Tonight they are hosting a dinner for us and have promised dancing by one of the local dance groups. I am excited to see that and will take lots of pictures.
Tomorrow afternoon we are leaving Kabwohe and traveling to Jacana Lodge for one night in Queen Elizabeth National Park. If you remember when I was here last fall, we got stuck in the mud multiple times in the park and had to get out and push our van out of the mud. Jacana lodge was where I stayed in the hut along the lake past the hippo trail and next to the animal trail. We will see this time what adventures await. Sunday morning we are hoping to go on a safari drive through the park and then go on a boat down the Kazinga channel (all for $40!). I have heard on the Kazinga channel that the hippos rub underneath your boat and you are so close you could reach out and touch them. But because I value my life, I will keep all my limbs inside the boat, not just for fear of the hippos but also the Nile crocodiles!
More updates to come—
No comments:
Post a Comment