Greetings Friends and Family from Jinja, Uganda-
The road to Jinja was pretty good, we drove through gentle hills with sugar cane growing on one side for as far as the eye could see and on the other side of the road were tea farms. I may have talked about this before but the color of the new tea leaf on the tea bush is so unique, it is a vibrant fresh green. It is very pleasing to look at, especially when there are thousands of tea bushes and it is all that you can see. Our hotel is situated on the Nile river and Lake Victoria so we have fish every day for lunch and dinner, not to mention Matoki (steamed green bananas) and fresh beans. From my hotel room I can see a bit of the river and the fishing boats going up and down. The fishing boats are the size of canoes and I have heard that at night the river and lake looks like a small city with the lights from the fisherman’s boats.
The training is going well so far, the staff are all new to research so we have been focusing a lot on the basics of research and then going deeper into our protocol for PrEP. They are asking great questions and are picking it up quickly. Tomorrow I present all day on Enrollment procedures and forms.
The weather has been hot and humid but luckily there is a nice breeze from the lake and river so that helps. The mosquitoes aren’t so bad but the tiny ants are everywhere and in everything. We brought a box full of bags of candy to pass out during the training, within a few hours there was a trail of ants marching to the box and some of the bags had holes in them. I have yet to see them try to carry a piece of candy, that would be quite the feat! These ants are so tiny, they look like a small piece of lint.
I hope all is well at home and the crazy weather has subsided.
No comments:
Post a Comment